Dementia Action/Awareness Week
What is Dementia Action/Awareness Week?
Dementia Action/Awareness Week is a national event that sees the UK public taking action to improve the lives of people affected by dementia. With 34.5 million of us knowing someone who is living with dementia in the UK, it is important to know how we can offer support to ensure they live well with dementia. A week of each year is dedicated to Dementia awareness, giving organisations, governments, and individuals an opportunity to raise awareness and encourage action.
The theme for 2023 is TBC.
Dementia Action/Awareness Week and Employment
People with dementia face major challenges in workplace, due to the stigma placed on them after they receive a diagnosis. Employers can aim to create dementia friendly workplaces by:
- Using Dementia Action/Awareness Week to share resources and educate employees
- Running awareness campaigns, to create open dialogue where employees feel safe to speak about dementia
- Training all employees, so everyone understands dementia
- Creating awareness, so people can continue to contribute their skills
- Highlighting pathways to support for employees and/or their carers
- Ensuring policies and practices are in place and inclusive