Dyslexia Awareness Week
What is Dyslexia Awareness Week?
Dyslexia Awareness Week is an annual opportunity to raise awareness of Dyslexia in the UK. The NHS estimates that up to 1 in 10 people in the UK has some degree of dyslexia. The British Dyslexia Association provide tools and resources with teachers, businesses, and the public each year to increase awareness on this topic.
Dyslexia Awareness week is celebrated annually in October and the theme for 2023 is TBC.
Dyslexia Week and Employment
All organisations want their employees to be at their best, so that they in turn do their best for the company. If an organisation doesn’t properly support employees needs, they may not be able to perform to their highest capability or they simply may not be motivated to do so. Dyslexia support in the workplace can include:
- Using Dyslexia Awareness Week to run an awareness campaign
- Consulting individuals on their needs
- Supporting testing, diagnoses, and solutions
- Providing adjustments such as speech to text and text to speach technology, adjustable screens, recording devices instead of note taking, providing documentation ahead of time to allow for preparation and much more.
- Provide training to employees to create understanding
- Ensure policies and procedures are inclusive.