International Women’s Day
What is International Women’s Day?
International Women’s Day aims to create a gender equal world. The date celebrates the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. It encourages people, internationally, to reflect on their contribution to gender equality, diversity, and equality.
International Women’s Day is celebrated on the 8th of March every year. The theme for 2023 is Embrace Equity.
How is International Women’s Day Celebrated?
Women’s achievements are celebrated and action for equality is taken through campaigns, awareness raising and events. Celebrations take place worldwide to promote women’s equality which educate the public on the importance of this day and the work that is still to be done.
International Women’s Day and Employment
Employers can create a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, free of stereotypes and discrimination for women by:
- Celebrating International Women’s Day, stating the organisations commitment to gender equality
- Hosting an event to raise awareness
- Providing training to all employees on Diversity and Inclusion
- Ensuring policies and procedures are inclusive
- Ensure equal access to opportunities and increase female representation on the board and in senior roles
- Encouraging networks/ERGs to get involved, promote IED and carry out activities and events