What is Movember?
Movember is the leading charity changing the face of men’s health. The name is a play on words referencing November and Moustache which represents growing a moustache in November for the purpose of raising awareness of men’s health, fundraising and ultimately saving the lives of men. This is achieved by raising awareness of common illnesses and issues faced by men (for example, prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention), educating people on the signs and symptoms and encouraging them to see a doctor or seek help.
The movement was founded in Australia in 2003, which began as a mission to bring back the moustache but was quickly adapted to raise money for good causes related to the improvement and care of men’s health. By 2007 this campaign was recognised globally including the USA and UK and had raised over £13m since its creation in 2003.
How is Movember Celebrated?
Typically, people grow moustaches in November to raise funds to support men’s health charities and projects. Since its launch, Movember has diversified its fundraising ideas to include running 60km for the 60 men lost to suicide every hour, hosting a Mo-ment which gathers people to do something fun together or choosing your own activity entirely.
Movember and Employment
Movember and growing facial hair is the personal choice of individuals. However, employers can support the cause and purpose of Movember by:
- Sponsoring Employees who are choosing to take part in the month
- Donating to men’s health charities
- Supporting men to live healthy lives with initiatives such as discounted gym memberships, cycle to work, healthy food on site, flexible working, and access to an EAP including GP and counselling
- Share resources that encourage men to think about their health and symptoms of common illnesses to be aware of
- Provide training on mental health and men’s health