World Alzheimer’s Day
What is World Alzheimer’s Day?
World Alzheimer’s Day is marked globally to raise awareness of the issues faced by people living with dementia. It puts a spotlight on the vast number of people affected by dementia and helps to challenge the stigma of Alzheimer’s.
World Alzheimer’s Day takes place on 21st September every year during World Alzheimer’s Month. The focus for 2023 is TBC.
World Alzheimer’s Day and Employment
Like with World Alzheimer’s Month, it is important for employers to create dementia friendly workplaces, raise awareness and reduce the stigma of Alzheimer’s. Ways to reduce the major challenges People with dementia face in workplace include:
- Using World Alzheimer’s Day to run an awareness campaign, share resources and educate employees
- Training employees, so everyone understands dementia
- Creating awareness, so people can continue to contribute their skills
- Highlighting pathways to support for employees and/or their carers
- Ensuring policies and practices are in place and inclusive